Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The perfect manicure

I don't know a girl who doesn't like having their nails perfectly polished, but I know a lot of girls (myself included) who don't want to pay the price of professional manis.

I have a little secret, at home manicures can be just as nice!

I can't lie, I have gone to salons to get my nails buffed and polished by a pro, and I do like being pampered. However, I'd much rather sit in the comfort of my own home with a movie on and save myself $20.

The Beauty Department  has fantastic tutorials for at home manicures, and other beauty topics. They walk you through step-by-step better than I could.

Here are my top at home mani-products that I live by:

  1. 4-step nail buffers. Perfect for shaping and smoothing your nails. Not only does it make them look pretty, it helps prevent nail polish from staining and chipping. Sephora sells a fantastic one for only $5.
  2. Cuticle conditioner. This helps soften your cuticles for you can easily push them back and shape them. If you're a pro and feel comfortable it makes cutting them back easier too. This also helps prevent cracking and nasty hangnails. Onsen has the best cuticle conditioner I have yet to find. It's a little more pricey, selling for $17, but it works. Usually Onsen also offers sets where you can get the conditioner and other spa products for a much better price. 
  3. Perfect polish. Everyone has that brand that they love, mine is Essie. This polish goes on perfectly and lasts longer than any other I've used. Plus, they have the best colors out there. Power Clutch is my personal favorite, selling at around $8 a bottle. 
  4. Top coat. This is essential to making any manicure last. Once again, Essie has made the top of my list with No Chips Ahead. Selling at around $8, this top coat makes your manicure last for days longer than any other brand I've tried. 


No comments:

Post a Comment