Monday, April 1, 2013

The importance of internships and networking

While at my internship last summer at the Pocono Record, a small daily newspaper located in Stroudsburg, Pa, I learned the importance of making connections and networking.

The opportunity itself was a phenomenal one, considering after graduation I want to eventually work at a newspaper, big or small. And during my internship I wasn't simply the coffee girl, I was actually sent on assignments, took photos and even participated in a manhunt for a man suspected of attempted murder. Needless to say it was my dream job wrapped up into one summer.

After my internship was over, I was sad but the connections I made and the people I met are still in my life almost a year later.

By working my butt off and doing whatever my editors told me to do, I made a good impression. That and being open and friendly they got to know me on a more personal level as well.

After my internship was over, I connected with the editors and a few other reporters via Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. There they comment on things in my life on a professional level and a personal level. It's nice to know they care about me as a person and a journalist even after I left the office and that I still have them to turn to after I graduate.

Even though they don't have any openings for me now, the fact that I kept in touch kept me in their minds so if they ever have an opening I'll be on their list. That and now I have amazing references for any of my future professional endeavors.

The lesson here would not only be to find an internship and work hard no matter what because it is a great experience, but also to make connections and have a good working and maybe even personal relationship with the people you work for and with because you never know when you might need their help/advice/recommendations in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment